16. February / Paavo
Lockheed Martin has released version 2.5 of Prepar3D simulator. It contains some of the most fundamental changes compared to FSX that have ever been implemented on the platform.
Many configuration files have been relocated and some don’t even carry the same contents as they used to. These changes do not only render FSX installers even more obsolete, but also affect a lot of software released for Prepar3D – such as terrain sceneries that need to access the master terrain configuration file (terrain.cfg).
To overcome this, we have updated Migration Tool accordingly and new version is available for download from its product page.
Please note that Migration Tool does not yet make FSInn compatible with Prepar3D v2.5 – such feature will be added sometime this week.
9. April 2014 / Paavo
Lockheed Martin released version 2.2 of Prepar3D, and Migration Tool has of course been updated to fully support it.
In addition to v2.2 support, the latest version of Migration Tool brings these changes:
- FSInn aircraft repository can now be rebuilt in normally-run Prepar3D, meaning that there should be no need to use Legacy Mode.
- Migration Tool can copy default FSX aircraft to Prepar3D (see Tools > Copy default aircraft). This solves many issues that arised from third party airplanes looking for sounds or gauges from default airplanes that weren’t there anymore in Prepar3D.
- When a backup was manually triggered, Migration Tool did not do a backup of Prepar3D v2 files. This has been fixed.
- The main window got a slight redesign to accommodate shortcuts.
- Migration Tool is now also smart enough to automatically disable third party modules that crash Prepar3D.
Updates to Migration Tool continue to be free of charge, and available from its product page.
13. February 2014 / Paavo
Prepar3D v2.1 update was released just a day ago, and Migration Tool has of course been updated to recognize version 2.1, too. Looking through the list of v2.1 changes, there doesn’t appear to be anything that would significantly affect Migration Tool’s use.
New Migration Tool is available from its product page.
29. January 2014 / Paavo
The previous update to Migration Tool was a quick fix to remove the obstacles from using it with Prepar3D v2. This update focuses on adding new features:
- FSInn is now fully supported, meaning that once you’ve installed FSInn and FSCopilot, click on Enable virtual FSX in Migration Tool and you will be able to use FSInn without any hacks with Prepar3D.
- Captain Sim aircraft corrupt Prepar3D flight files, which may render the simulator unusable to the point that it suggests reinstallation. Migration Tool now automatically prevents and fixes these problems.
- Captain Sim Boeing 777 is known to crash Prepar3D. From now on, Migration Tool automatically makes necessary alterations to prevent this from happening.
- In multi-sim configurations (FSX + Prepar3D v1 + v2, or Prepar3D v1 + v2), Migration Tool redirects all other simulators to the active one. With Prepar3D v2 selected, both FSX and Prepar3D v1 addons are redirected to Prepar3D v2. This allows Prepar3D v1 compatible addons to be installed to Prepar3D v2.
- Some 3rd party modules cause Prepar3D to crash during shutdown. Migration Tool automatically kills the simulator when this happens to avoid annoying dialogs.
- There is new initial setup dialog (pictured right) for easy setup of Migration Tool. It asks the location of different simulators, and carries out verification and repair tasks. This can also be triggered from Help > Repair simulators menu.
- Extended backups has been added to Options dialog. Once checked, Migration Tool will start making full backups (all configuration files), not partial backups containing only files affected by the tool. A list of backupped files can be found in the manual.
Like all previous updates, this one is also free and available from Migration Tool’s product page.
26. November 2013 / Paavo
A new build of Migration Tool is now available, and its change list is as follows:
- Prepar3D v2 support added to Migration Tool.
- Brand new registry key handling (required for Prepar3D v2).
The aim of Migration Tool has always been the ease of use. This new builds adds a simple simulator selection dialog that allows switching between redirecting FSX installers to Prepar3D v1 and to Prepar3D v2.
Having to deal with up to three simulators at the same time adds another layer of complexity, and if you experience any abnormal behaviour by Migration Tool, please report it to support forum.
In addition to updating Migration Tool, our free SimAccess utility has also been made compatible with Prepar3D v2. If you regularly hand-edit FSX and Prepar3D, then SimAccess will help you get rid of annoying User Account Control prompts.
For download links, see Migration Tool and SimAccess pages.
19. October 2013 / Paavo
Version 1.9.1 of Migration Tool is now available, and will be pushed through automatic updater within a few days.
What does it bring compared to the last major version?
- Most notably, Migration Tool can now be used on Windows 8.1. In addition, it should be more stable on 64 bit versions of Windows 8.
- Migration Tool was considerably altered to reduce false positives from anti-virus software. At the moment of writing this, the main program tests 100% clean with 48 anti-virus software. Its activation plugin is falsely marked positive by 5 anti-virus software, of them are worth mentioning F-Secure and BitDefender. Be sure to designate Migration Tool as trusted software if there are any technical difficulties using it.
- Migration Tool’s user interface was redesigned to support DPI scaling. This means that Migration Tool remains usable with oversized text size, which is common with high-resolution monitors.
- Legacy Mode does not trigger fallback to Basic Scheme on Windows 7 anymore.
- Options dialog has been added. It allows to configure automatic backups and provides shortcuts to two free extras, SimAccess and Scheme Fix.
- Migration Tool has new and better updater.
- Manual was redesigned and Quick Start Guide added.
- Migration Tool now stores its own, Windows’, FSX’s and Prepar3D’s version information on a remote server along with activation data – this is to provide faster support.
- New activation wizard. It is now significantly easier to activate and re-activate Migration Tool. Simply enter the Activation Code from your receipt and that’s it – no passwords anymore.
As always, the latest version of Migration Tool is available from its product page.
5. September 2013 / Paavo
PMDG Boeing 777 was recently released for FSX and there have been many questions about whether 777 works in Prepar3D or not. Unfortunately, it doesn’t. 777 displays a message saying that it was not designed for Prepar3D, and does not load in the simulator.
To understand the underlying issue, we have to take a wider view on the subject.
read all »
12. May 2013 / Paavo
In response to many flight sim enthusiasts who go as far as reinstalling their simulators outside of Program Files to avoid endless security prompts when dealing with FSX and Prepar3D, we have put together a simple program that takes care of access permissions – SimAccess.
SimAccess is free, leaves no files behind, and grants regular users on the computer full access to Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D files. This means that files can be copied and edited without any User Account Control interference.
Visit SimAccess page for download links.
27. January 2013 / Paavo
28th January 2013 at 17:00 UTC
It looks like Ground Environment X developer signed up to our support forum and while hiding his true identity, attempted to scare users from porting GEX to Prepar3D by spreading a made-up story about a “problem” he got into.
read all »
1. December 2012 / Paavo
Version 1.8.0 is now available, with following features:
- Added support of AivlaSoft EFB.
- Update checking has been significantly improved, and from now on Migration Tool is able to automatically download and start the newest installer for you. As a result, updating to the latest version usually takes less than a minute.
- Based on user feedback, registry-related functionality has also been improved.
- An illustrated guide to re-activation has been added.
Visit product page to download v1.8.0 installer.