26. November / Paavo
A new build of Migration Tool is now available, and its change list is as follows:
- Prepar3D v2 support added to Migration Tool.
- Brand new registry key handling (required for Prepar3D v2).
The aim of Migration Tool has always been the ease of use. This new builds adds a simple simulator selection dialog that allows switching between redirecting FSX installers to Prepar3D v1 and to Prepar3D v2.
Having to deal with up to three simulators at the same time adds another layer of complexity, and if you experience any abnormal behaviour by Migration Tool, please report it to support forum.
In addition to updating Migration Tool, our free SimAccess utility has also been made compatible with Prepar3D v2. If you regularly hand-edit FSX and Prepar3D, then SimAccess will help you get rid of annoying User Account Control prompts.
For download links, see Migration Tool and SimAccess pages.
19. October / Paavo
Version 1.9.1 of Migration Tool is now available, and will be pushed through automatic updater within a few days.
What does it bring compared to the last major version?
- Most notably, Migration Tool can now be used on Windows 8.1. In addition, it should be more stable on 64 bit versions of Windows 8.
- Migration Tool was considerably altered to reduce false positives from anti-virus software. At the moment of writing this, the main program tests 100% clean with 48 anti-virus software. Its activation plugin is falsely marked positive by 5 anti-virus software, of them are worth mentioning F-Secure and BitDefender. Be sure to designate Migration Tool as trusted software if there are any technical difficulties using it.
- Migration Tool’s user interface was redesigned to support DPI scaling. This means that Migration Tool remains usable with oversized text size, which is common with high-resolution monitors.
- Legacy Mode does not trigger fallback to Basic Scheme on Windows 7 anymore.
- Options dialog has been added. It allows to configure automatic backups and provides shortcuts to two free extras, SimAccess and Scheme Fix.
- Migration Tool has new and better updater.
- Manual was redesigned and Quick Start Guide added.
- Migration Tool now stores its own, Windows’, FSX’s and Prepar3D’s version information on a remote server along with activation data – this is to provide faster support.
- New activation wizard. It is now significantly easier to activate and re-activate Migration Tool. Simply enter the Activation Code from your receipt and that’s it – no passwords anymore.
As always, the latest version of Migration Tool is available from its product page.
5. September / Paavo
PMDG Boeing 777 was recently released for FSX and there have been many questions about whether 777 works in Prepar3D or not. Unfortunately, it doesn’t. 777 displays a message saying that it was not designed for Prepar3D, and does not load in the simulator.
To understand the underlying issue, we have to take a wider view on the subject.
read all »
12. May / Paavo
In response to many flight sim enthusiasts who go as far as reinstalling their simulators outside of Program Files to avoid endless security prompts when dealing with FSX and Prepar3D, we have put together a simple program that takes care of access permissions – SimAccess.
SimAccess is free, leaves no files behind, and grants regular users on the computer full access to Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D files. This means that files can be copied and edited without any User Account Control interference.
Visit SimAccess page for download links.
27. January / Paavo
28th January 2013 at 17:00 UTC
It looks like Ground Environment X developer signed up to our support forum and while hiding his true identity, attempted to scare users from porting GEX to Prepar3D by spreading a made-up story about a “problem” he got into.
read all »
1. December 2012 / Paavo
Version 1.8.0 is now available, with following features:
- Added support of AivlaSoft EFB.
- Update checking has been significantly improved, and from now on Migration Tool is able to automatically download and start the newest installer for you. As a result, updating to the latest version usually takes less than a minute.
- Based on user feedback, registry-related functionality has also been improved.
- An illustrated guide to re-activation has been added.
Visit product page to download v1.8.0 installer.
1. November 2012 / Paavo
Version 1.7.0 of FSX to Prepar3D Migration Tool is now available. It comes with the lengthiest list of changes so far:
- FSDreamTeam Ground Services X works out-of-the-box with Prepar3D running in Legacy Mode. Many thanks to FSDT for helping to make it happen!
- A2A installers, such the one belonging to B-17, have better support.
- Native TrackIR support (so-called language.dll workaround) is by default off since the new TrackIR drivers support Prepar3D. You can still turn it on, if you need it for any reason.
- Additional FSX verification steps have been added to remove any ambiguity. These steps hopefully dramatically decrease the number of installers showing only “Repair / Uninstall” options.
- Migration Tool now makes backups of vital FSX and Prepar3D folders on initial run of each version of the tool, and each time it detects major changes to the simulators, such as updates to Prepar3D.
- Automatic update checking has been added to help you stay up to date.
- Log files are handled in a smarter way, preventing their ballooning to unreasonably large size.
- Separate virtual FSX folder is no longer required. Formerly, a folder of user’s selection was turned into looking like FSX and actually pointing to Prepar3D. Now all changes are applied directly to Prepar3D. For those who have separate folder present from previous versions, it still remains for legacy reasons.
- Many smaller visual changes: dummy fsx.exe does not cause fallback to basic theme on Windows 7; icons are refreshed each time Migration Tool modifies program files; options menu and version dialog with support information have been added, etc.
- Manual was rewritten and it is now hopefully easier to follow.
- Versioning was changed from A.B format to A.B.C format. If there is any need for bug fixes to version 1.7.0, newer versions will carry numbers 1.7.1, 1.7.2, and so forth. Should new features be added or critical bugs fixed, new version will carry number 1.8.0. Only major changes will from now on be announced on this website. Notification about smaller updates is available through Migration Tool’s built-in update checking.
As many times before, the latest version of Migration Tool is available from product page. May you be reminded that there is no need to uninstall previous version – it will be done automatically for you. Simply download the latest installer and follow on-screen instructions.
30. September 2012 / Paavo
Version 1.6 of good old Migration Tool is now up. Several users on our support forum pointed out that they were unable to run certain InstallShield installers twice. Since we saw this as a serious limitation to the full enjoyment of Migration Tool, we decided to bring v1.6 forward to overcome these barriers as soon as possible.
As a result, features originally intended for v1.6, such as a stand-alone troubleshooting program to combat most common problems with old and bloated installations of FSX, will have to wait until v1.7, pending further testing.
Visit product page to download v1.6. May we remind you that it is very easy to update Migration Tool: disable virtual FSX in Migration Tool, close the program and run the newest installer. It will automatically take care of the old version, and no re-activation will be required.
If you don’t already own Migration Tool, then in addition to SimMarket, it is now available from FlightSim Pilot Shop too.
28. August 2012 / Paavo
Version 1.5 of FSX to Prepar3D Migration Tool was moments ago uploaded. What’s new?
- Version 1.5 brings mostly behind-the-scenes improvements to the program. For example, patching algorithm that creates a mock FSX.exe from Prepar3D.exe got replaced with absolutely new one that supports all Prepar3D versions between 1.2 and 1.4 (newest).
- Migration Tool disables regular FSX installation for the duration that virtual FSX is enabled. Quite a few users experienced that FSX installation was not fully restored after disabling virtual FSX. This required minor manual corrections, but now the tool itself acts a bit more aggressive in attempts to restore FSX.
- Native TrackIR support. Previously, TrackIR had to be used in combination with EZdok Camera Addon to get it working with Prepar3D, but as an experimental feature we’ve implemented native support. TrackIR 5 should function with only Prepar3D and Migration Tool installed (and virtual FSX enabled). Please let us know about your experience through support.
To make it easier to follow updates, we’ve added RSS News Feed (read more about it) to our website – see orange button on the right sidebar. RSS News Feed is a standard, simple and non-intrusive way of keeping track of websites. Almost all devices that can access the Internet support RSS feeds.
As always, version 1.5 is available from product page. You don’t need to uninstall previous version, it will be done automatically for you. However, virtual FSX must be disabled before updating.
19. June 2012 / Paavo
It’s been a month. The longest development cycle so far has resulted in the following new features:
- Migration Tool can now be run under Windows XP (32 bit only). Since 64 bit Windows XP is in many aspects experimental, it is doubtful that we’ll see 64 bit XP support in the future.
- Installers are handled much better in 1.4. If there is uninstallation information somewhere on your system preventing from installing the same addon twice, a quite complex algorithm tries to find and temporarily remove such entries.
- Full registered FSUIPC and EZdok support. If you wish to run TrackIR through EZdok or fly with older planes such as PMDG 747, just fire up Prepar3D in Legacy Mode. There are no known side effects.
- There was a bit of a problem with utilities that tried to access shader files. This has been fixed.
- And as a safety measure, to prevent you from running FSX while virtual FSX is enabled, FSX.exe in root FSX folder get temporarily disabled when you enable virtual FSX. If you try to run FSX, you will see a notice telling you to run the Migration Tool and disable virtual FSX.
Version 1.4 can be downloaded from product page. Updating is easy, simply disable virtual FSX in Migration Tool, close the program and then run the downloaded installer.